Did you know that to manage your weight and boost your brain health you need more than just regular exercise and enough sleep? Consuming a healthy diet composed of nutrient-rich food improves both your physical and mental health. It protects you against lifestyle or non-communicable diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes.
How can you consume a healthy diet regularly, you might ask? The answer lies in blending a simple-to-make and easy-to-take nutrient-rich green smoothie.
You only need to know the necessary ingredients and how to mix them to make a smoothie.
What are the Necessary Components of a Healthy Diet?
Blending vegetables, fruits, nuts, and grains such as soya can make a great, nutrient-rich, fiber-loaded, and low-fat balanced diet. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates that
only 1 in 10 adults in the USA meet fruit and vegetable intake recommendations.
These fruits and vegetables are packed with essential nutrients such as vitamins, proteins, minerals, and fiber; and have been used by many people with impressive results:
- Beet root – half
- Turmeric – one rhizome
- Ginger – same size as the turmeric
- Carrot – two pieces
- Malenge (Pumpkin) seeds – 20 No.
- Lime – two fruits
- Garlic – half (five or six cloves)
- Pilipili (red or green African bird’s eye) – two fruits
- Aloe Vera – one leaf
- Okra (ladies’ fingers) – four fingers
- Avocado – one fruit
- Cucumber – half a fruit
- Horned melon (Cucumis metuliferus) – one fruit
- Cabbage, sukuma wiki (kale) or spinach – two leaves
- Dania (Coriander) – a few leaves
- Thabai (Stinging nettle) – two leaves or three tablespoons if in powder form
- Soya beans – 20 No.
- Fruits such as apple, mango, and banana – for sweetening the green smoothie
- When available, add:
- Mwarubaini (Neem) tree – a few leaves
- Moringa (Moringa Oleifera) – a few leaves or a small piece of bark
How to Blend the Ingredients into a Green Smoothie
These steps outline a simple and effective procedure to make your perfect green smoothie:
- Wash the fruits and vegetables thoroughly with running water; as described in this article by the CDC.
- Chop, cut or slice the ingredients into tiny pieces. The quantities indicated for each ingredient are based on what a 1.8-liter blender can accommodate.
- Add four tablespoons of honey.
- Add two cups of water.
- Blend this into a smooth drink.
- Using two one-liter bottles, divide the blend into two equal portions.
- Add water in each bottle until you reach the desired thickness or consistency.
- Shake well and store in a refrigerator. The smoothie remains fresh for six days maximum.
Take one cup every morning and another cup before going to bed in the evening. Always shake well before pouring out the smoothie into a cup. This ensures that particles of the ingredients which had settled at the bottom are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
You will not believe the amazing and significant results you’ll see after only a few weeks of using this green smoothie. You’ll transform into a lighter, extremely flexible, and amazingly vibrant body; and say goodbye to all digestion-related discomforts.
Further reading: The World Health Organization describes the benefits of fruits and vegetable intake.